Monday, January 26, 2015

Surprise!!!

This past weekend I received a few neat surprises.  Surprises are those things that you are not expecting to happen and when they do you can respond one of two ways: joy or sorrow.  And for those of you who are sassy and might ask this question later, NO I am NOT pregnant.  The surprises this weekend were ones in which I responded with pure joy. 

Saturday was a loooong day as I spent 12 hours painting my living room.  I knew that I wanted to get rid of the icky mint green (I’m sure that’s what it said on the swatch at the store when whoever lived here before picked it).  I spent the week before gathering different colors and trying to decide if I wanted to be bold and go blue or stay more neutral with light yellow or even porcelain.  Finally Saturday morning arrived and I still hadn’t picked a color and it was then that I sat up in bed and said, “I’m going with the blue.”  No turning back.  After the man at the hardware mixed the color, he opened the can for me to see.  I got this sinking feeling inside that my living room would turn out looking like a robin’s egg; but I went with it.  To my surprise after all of my hard work, it ended up looking a lovely slate blue color that not only blended with my colors but wasn’t the shock of the century that the mint green had been when you walked into my house.

As I was finishing the entryway, standing right by the windowed door, there was a quick knock and a hello.  Being very surprised that someone had walked through my porch without my knowing it as I had been standing right there sent me screaming a shrill, harsh scream.  This scream was different than my normal ones and my husband actually feared that something had truly happened to me.  Nope, it was just my next-door neighbor Margie wanting to come see the progress that I had made on my painting.  She scared the tar out of me and almost gave me a heart attack.  Now that surprised me!  But the joy I felt from her surprise visit was wonderful as she told me how nice it all looked. Her encouraging words made me feel like I could finish the little bit left to be done.

By the time Sunday morning rolled around and we had to wake up to go speak at a church in Clio, I thought I had been hit by a truck.  Every muscle in my body hurt and just sitting up and getting out of bed was a challenge.  Now THAT part didn’t surprise me any as I am out of shape and a little older than I used to be.  We made it to our destination where Brian would preach and as I stood in the foyer of the church I saw a great surprise.  My son Zachary, whom I thought was at his university, was standing there.  After an event where he works he had stayed the night at a friends house that happens to attend that church.  The family knew that we were going to be at the church speaking and they all thought it would be a fun surprise.  It was.  Oh, the joy brought to my heart to see my boy.  My aches and pains of the days work before were behind me as I had my handsome young son standing in front of me. He was able to go out to lunch with us and we were able to have a nice surprise visit.     

It’s amazing how the little surprises of life can bring such joy.  I think God just smiles when he sees all of it taking place.  He loves to give us good things and he loves to watch us enjoy those good things.  There is nothing like a few good surprises to get your new week jumpstarted.  Look for those surprise things in your life this week that can make your day and enjoy them as they come your way

No comments:

Post a Comment