Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Thank you Lord for my Messy Dining Room Table

As I lay awake last night (well actually this morning) at 2 a.m.  I knew for sure that I was going to be very tired today.  I like my sleep and I like to get enough of it.  The thought of the alarm going off around 6:30 a.m. didn’t do a whole lot for me.  In my fatigue I couldn’t help but smile because the reason that I wasn’t sleeping was because my boys, now on Christmas break from college, were watching a show and laughing and laughing.  Oh they weren’t laughing every 5 minutes or so, but about every 20 second a good belly laugh would come out from at least one of them if not both.  My sweet little boys were home on Christmas break and they were still on their college schedule and I shut my eyes, smiled and it was okay.

I thanked God over and over for the blessings of these two young men that I don’t get to see on a daily basis.  I’m thankful for the men in Christ that they have become; their kindness, their love, and their willingness to help good ole’ mom when she needs a hand (or a bandage).  I even began thanking him for the mess on my dining room table over the last couple of days.  The 3 piles of clean laundry that just sat there, the Lego helicopters built (because “mom, we are reliving our childhood” I was told), the miscellaneous things that were theirs that I didn’t have a clue where to put and a soda can where it shouldn’t be.  This was joy to me (when normally it wouldn’t be) because it meant that my boys were home and I got to have them here with me for just a short time, love on them, and let them sleep until 2 in the afternoon if they wanted to. 

Cereal is gone faster, coffee has to almost be made by the gallon, and a big thing of milk doesn’t last us a week and a half like it normally does when there is just three of us here.  On a daily basis my big giant bearded boy will come up and give me a hug…just because.  I listen to   Zach and Brian tease each other about things that make me giggle. I look over while we are watching a movie and get to see my little girl snuggle up against her big brother and him letting her. 


I’m blessed there is no doubt about that.  I’m thankful to God for what he has given me and the glimpses I see of him every minute through the actions of my children, the togetherness of my family and yes, even in the messiness of my dining room table.  If I have to eat my meals in the living  because the table is covered, I’m okay with that because I’m together with my family and that is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment