Saturday, June 20, 2015

To Twist or not to Twist......That is the question.

I’ve never been one to wear high heel shoes.  If you know me and my track record, you surely can understand why.  I struggle to walk on a flat floor with flat shoes so you can only imagine what a heel could add to that.  However, the other day I went shoe shopping with my daughter to get just the “right” pair of shoes to go along with the dress that I had bought for my sons wedding in August.  Flat shoes were just not going to look classy enough, so I bought a shoe with a heel.  I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous.  They are just high heels and almost everyone wears them.  My friends in Mexico even wear them really, really high.  But I have a fear.

About 7 years ago I shredded my Achilles tendon and have since then worn flat shoes or shoes that give me support.  Just the mere thought of wearing heels makes me feel like I should just head straight to the emergency room.  I’m the girl that will walk across the carpet in church and just out of nowhere trip.  I recall in college as I crossed the street with a friend, telling the story of how she just was walking in that same spot and just rolled her ankle and was on crutches for several days.  I proceeded to show my other friends just what she did—role-playing of course.  My role-play soon became reality as I got a little too dramatic and rolled my ankle as she did and was on crutches for several days my self.  I received no sympathy from my friend to whom had earlier done the same and everyone else laughed in unbelief that I too had repeated what she had.

Yesterday, when I tried on my new wedding shoes that had arrived in the mail, I was so excited.  I walked into my bedroom to try the dress on with them.  I walked into my room going from the wood floor to the carpet, feeling pretty elegant wearing the shoes. However, the change in terrain surprised my inexperienced- high-heel-wearing-self and I proceeded to roll my ankle..  I screamed, and of course, like my daughter has been trained to do all of her life, she came running.  I hadn’t had the shoes for 5 minutes and I already had had an incident.  Emily made a wise suggestion that maybe before the wedding I may want to wear the heels and practice with them.  Good call-she’s wise beyond her years (or has just hung out with me long enough).  I certainly wouldn’t want to walk up the aisle of the church stumble and crumble on the wedding runner.  I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing the mother/son dance with my boy and fall as everyone watches the sweet moment.  I’ve got some work to do for sure.  I’ve got this.  I’ve overcome difficult things before.  These are only shoes.  I plan to walk like a model as she walks down that runway.  This mother of the groom is going to look elegant, walk elegant and NOT fall. 

Last night as I was ready God’s Word this is the confirmation he gave me. How could it get any better than that?  He knew what I needed on this day.  Love it!
Psalm 18:36 (NIV)
You provide a broad path for my feet,
so that my ankles do not give way.


No comments:

Post a Comment