Sunday, October 9, 2016

Prayers in the alley

Sadly there is a young boy, age 7, from our community that has just been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer.  I quickly received a message from a gal telling me and then later that day we got a call with more specifics to please put it on our church prayer chain.  From there, the next few days were just hearing people spread the word to pray for him. 

That Sunday night I was in a special 5 week training that our church is doing about being authentic for Jesus and reaching out to our community.  As the teacher was speaking, the Lord hit me over the head with a command.  “I want you to go and pray and encourage the grandmother of this young guy that you have been hearing so much about” I started to brush it off thinking it was really just a fleeting thought but I knew it wasn’t when it keep strongly coming to me.  I KNEW that I had to be obedient.  But I didn’t really know the grandmother that well.  God said, “It doesn’t matter. You need to go pray for her and encourage her.”


So last Tuesday after school I walked into her place of business and asked for her.  She was out back sitting and talking with a friend.  I walked up and reintroduced myself and just said that I was here to pray and encourage her.  Can you imagine a grandmother finding this out about her beloved grandson?  It was so fresh and so raw for this family that my heart just went out to this precious lady.  We talked for a few minutes and then I asked if I could pray with her.  She agreed and so I put my hand on her shoulder to start.  As I was about to pray, the other gal from the shop that took me back to her said, “Can I get in on the prayer too?”, while the third lady came up to join us.  We had a prayer circle of four and lifted little Payton to Jesus and prayed for him.  We prayed for the family and for the dear grandmother that was hurting so deeply right there in the alley behind her shop.  As the 4 of us said amen, another lady who had been walking through the alley said “amen” from a few feet away.  A fifth person had joined in and we didn’t even know it.  She walked over to give hugs and words of encouragement to this heartbroken grandmother.

God was working right then and there in the alley behind the beauty shop.  It was pretty awesome to be a part of.  I hugged her and I left knowing that I wouldn’t soon forget this real God moment.

You see God calls us to just do life with people.  He may direct you to certain people to pray, encourage, give financially, etc…..Our job is just to listen and be obedient.  I’m learning that when we do this God increases our faith and our trust in him. In turn, we are blessed as we are a blessing to others. 

If you wouldn’t mind praying for Payton and his family I know that they would covet your prayers.  We know God can do anything but right now the diagnosis does not look promising.  Please pray for peace, comfort and strength for this family. 



No comments:

Post a Comment