Friday, November 14, 2014

The Fork Stabbing


So those of you that know me well know that I am clumsy and so very accident-prone.  It doesn’t take much for me to hurt myself or for me to be walking through a carpeted room and trip, trip over nothing.  It’s just the way that I roll.  Yesterday I was doing what every good woman of the home does and I was putting stuff away in the kitchen.  It always seems that things are always out of place in that room so I thought that I’d at least attempt to clean it up a touch.  Of course I was working around the dishes that had been washed and were drying in the drying rack.  Yes, you have found me out, I let my dishes air dry instead of drying them one by one and putting them away.  My thought is that with some time they will dry anyway so why spend that extra time and dry them.  (My mother in law would beg to differ).  I put the sugar away in the cupboard above the dishes, closed the door and  I brought my hand down right into 2 forks that were sticking out of the drying rack.  They settled in my hand for a quick second until I yanked my hand back, looked in between my two fingers and saw 2 marks that looked like I’d been bitten by the fangs of a bat.  I screamed and murmured—I mean who wouldn’t?  It hurt.  My dear sweet Emily came running in and automatically put the two forks in the sink to be washed.  I asked what in the world she was doing as I had just washed those.  Her reply, “No one wants to eat off a fork that’s been stuck in your hand.”  I suppose she had a point there.  She got right to work saying, “I’ve got you mom, and I’ll take care of you.  Now here’s a band-aid with Neosporin on it.  You’ll be fine.  If this band aid falls off, I’ve put 2 more in your purse so that you’ll have extra.”  Now that’s a great kid.  She’s dealt with running to moms rescue before and I’d say as a 14 year old she has perfected it quite well.  She’ll probably go into trauma medicine when she’s older since she’s so used to it living with me.  Yep, it’s bruised today and the fang marks are still there though not infected because of my daughter’s quick work with the Neosporin.  You know, Emily was a great reminder to me of what Jesus is like to us everyday.  Things happen that are out of our control and he’s right there saying, “I’ve got you, hang on, I’ll take care of you.”  I’m thankful for that promise that He gives us.  I’m also thankful for a teenage girl that drops everything to help her clumsy mom.   

No comments:

Post a Comment