Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ramblings of another school year and getting back our first Love

Have you ever noticed that back-to-school season is filled with wonder, the unknown, new clothes, new notebooks, new teachers and for some new lunch boxes?  Wait. Do kids even carry lunch boxes anymore?  My point is that there is just a permeating excitement.  Now for some parents if you have kids returning to school there is an extra spring in your step because, well, your kids are returning back to school. For others there is a dark cloud that looms over you because, well, your kids are returning back to school.  We are all different in how we react to this back-to-school season.  It is a new chapter that is just waiting to be written.
            My daughter returned to school this year to start her senior year in high school.  As excited as I am to see her enjoy this final year and to be able to experience much of it with her as I teach at her school, there is a sense of a chapter ending when I think of this new season.  A few weeks ago I went to the first football game of her senior year in which she cheered.  She will never cheer another first football game again.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to be the parent that cries over things like, “oh, she just ate her last hamburger with pickles and overdone fries for school lunch her senior year.”  But I’ll be honest; I’ll be lamenting some of those lasts of her high school career.  I’ll also be rejoicing with her as the new things in this chapter begin.  She will be doing things like visiting colleges, writing essays for scholarships, filling out college applications, etc.…. So the last chapter of her high school career doesn’t need to be the last chapter of it all.  I’m also looking ahead to the great things that God has planned for her beyond this year. 

            Now I’ve noticed one thing about this back-to-school week that gives me a chuckle every year, and that’s how so many kids will actually et up on time and have their things gathered together and ready to walk out the door with no prodding from mom.  There’s almost a sense of wondering, will this actually be the year that mom won’t have to yell to get her kids moving in the morning?  I hate to be a naysayer but I’m gonna have to say from the experience of having three kids that have done this that the answer is a big NO!  Sorry for that reality.  Come early October, you will be the mom that yells, “If I’ve told you once I’ve told you ten times. Get. Up. Now!!  The next time I come in there I will be squirting water on your face!”  Don’t be sad about this. For you, it might come later like maybe mid -October.  You push them out the door with a quick prayer, throw them a muffin for breakfast as the door shuts and wonder why you just don’t home school.  And for those of you that do homeschool, well, again, from experience, there are other issues you could add to the new chapter. 
            I feel like oftentimes our lives as Christian women are like the back-to-school season.  A new Bible study starts, we get onboard with it and we are so excited and have this wonderful anticipation that we are going to finally become Biblical scholars.  We arrive early to the study, we even clean ourselves up a bit to look presentable and we have our Bibles, highlighters and pen all together and ready to grab at a moments notice.  However, several weeks into the study when it’s not new anymore to us we show up either just as the leader is beginning or maybe slither in a bit late, forgetting to change out of our sweatpants and spending much of the study digging in the bottomless pit of our purses trying to find a pen that works and realizing that we left our highlighter in the car.  Uggg.  We loose our excitement and fervor because the study has revealed some things about us that we don’t like and so we are rebelling back in our own little way deciding that yes, we’ll finish out this study but we’re going to kick and scream in our own way doing it.  It’s like the child that refuses to get out of bed for school in the morning because school now bugs them.
            Why do we sabotage new and exciting things-- these wonderful new chapters in our lives that we have an opportunity to write?  It’s as if we take that pen and start writing a mile a minute and then our pen starts moving slower, and slower and our eyes droop and the pen just scribbles off the side of the page. (I know that this does happen as I sat in the front row of a college class and did just that as the professor stood in front of me and watched the whole thing.)
            Revelations 2:4 in the NAS Bible says, But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.  I used the example of a new school year as that new and exciting thing—that first love if you will.  (Though for many students there’s no love at all there—but stick with me here).  In this new season, as summer comes to a close (I’m sorry, someone had to tell you,) I want to encourage you that if you have left or maybe strayed away a bit from your first love, which in Revelations is speaking of Christ, then what a great time to begin again.  Gain back that excitement that you once had for your relationship with Christ.  Get someone else on board with you to keep you accountable so you won’t be like that Bible study gal that dwindles halfway through, or that student that has to be sprayed with water in order to get moving. 

            The thing I love about being a part of a group of Christian people is that we can and should be encouraging and building each other up.  So you stepped away for a bit.  That’s done and over.  Philippians 3:13 says this, Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. 
            My friends, this is a new season, a new chapter and it’s just waiting for you to jump on board.  You can stay in what I call your “Eeyore moments” or you can plunge forward and start living your purpose.  Don’t worry, God’s got you and he won’t leave you nor will he drop you.  Be encouraged because we are all in this together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment