Monday, August 28, 2017

How NOT to be the Worst Blogger and Procrastinator Ever

Hey, let’s just get it all out there so we all know upfront what I’m really getting at today.  I’ve been a bad blogger.  I know it; I accept it and I’ve made peace with it.  Part of me looked at my blog and thought, “If my last blog was last October, then I should have just waited another two months to write and then that would have made it a full year.  An anniversary of sorts. “ My other thought was, “What’s the point to even begin writing again?  You’ve procrastinated long enough, so what’s another 10 years without writing?” 


I suppose we all have to face our weaknesses at different points in our lives and mine is putting writings up on my blog.  Don’t get me wrong, I surely have other weaknesses but this one, for a writer, is pretty significant. 

There’s a bible verse that I have always claimed as my own.  It has to do with sin, not the lack of writing a blog, but I think we can take something from it here.  I think it also has a lot to do with procrastination.   Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.   You see, I could easily sit down once a week and write a blog but I get caught up in the other things of life—things that are unnecessary that I really don’t want to do but are just easier.  I sit and scroll through Facebook as I have the TV on in the background.  I then get bored and move on over to Pinterest just to see if there is anything new. There isn’t.  Big surprise.  Before I know it, I let out a big stretch and realize that I’m tired and ready for bed.  I’ve spent the evening doing a big fat nothing!  Another day has gone by and I haven’t written a word.  Or, in my case, another 10 months have gone by and I’ve written nothing worthy of putting on my blog.

So what is there to do?   Are you in the same boat of procrastination from something you’ve committed to do but haven’t?   Let me encourage you as I try to encourage myself to keep keeping on.

1.  Don’t give up!  It’s so easy to throw in the towel when we haven’t done what we’ve wanted to for a long time.  Or maybe you’ve messed something up terribly and can’t seem to face going back to it.  Don’t give up.  What you do or need to start doing again makes a difference to someone.

2.  Admit that you won’t always don’t get it right.  If you’re like me you will find yourself as imperfect.  Oh come on, admit it. You’re not perfect.  The horror!!  But it’s true, and quite honestly, it’s freeing.  You’re not going to get it right so move on from here and start fresh.

3.  STOP procrastinating!  If you are a professional procrastinator like I am than it’s hard to just stop cold turkey.  You need help.  I said it, and I’ll say it again.  You need help.  Ask someone to keep you accountable on doing what you need to do.  Have them ask you once a week if you are doing what you want to be doing?  A good friend can be the best person to give you that imaginary kick in the pants…or a real kick in the pants if you truly need it. It stings for a minute but it surely gets you going.

4.  Pray to God to bring it to your mind often.  That seems almost too simple doesn’t it?  However, if we ask God to bring to our mind often he will do it.  In fact, he may bring it to us so often that we won’t be able to get away from it.  I want to be a blogger.  I want to be a good writer but I’m forgetful.  I need God to prompt me, to remind me to get back in the game.  The Bible says in John 14:14 that if we ask for anything in His name he will do it.  Let’s make sure we understand this verse and not take it out of context.  We need to ask with the right motives, motives that line up with his will for our lives.  It comes down to this, we should all be doing things that bring glory to God, whether it’s writing a blog, working with kids, or stopping procrastination in it’s tracks.


Have you failed?  Yes, you probably have…. yesterday, but today you are going to rock it.  Believe it and go, go right now and get started on what you need to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment