Tuesday, December 1, 2015

You've Got to Give a Little

It seems that our focus so often is buying, and taking it all in for us and making sure that we are full.  Of what?  Well, that depends on the person.  I mean who can deny that just a few days ago most of us gorged ourselves on turkey, stuffing, pies and whatever else was around to get our hands on.  Then to top it all off there were those who set their alarms for 3 a.m. so that they could be the first ones to the Black Friday sales—to buy stuff.  I was a bit shocked, but not at all surprised, to see the fight shown all over the news of two guys wrestling around in a store. And for what?  Stuff.  That’s all, just a good deal on stuff.

Today is called Giving Tuesday.  I like to put some focus on that for a moment.  Remember the old saying, “it’s so much better to give than to receive?”  If that’s the case then why aren’t we giving more and filling ourselves less?  I love to give to others.  In fact, there are times that I see a need and secretly wish that I was really rich so that I could write a big fat check to help out the person or organization that is in need.  But if I’m to be fair, I’m also pretty selfish.  I like to give when it’s convenient to me but if I have to go out of my way too much then, at times, I really have to think twice.  Just the other day my daughter asked me to grab something for her while I was up.  Seriously I complained.  I mean, that’s 20 extra steps in the opposite direction of where I was going.  I’m not sure that I can do that for you. Sad, but true. 

Do you give to others?  I don’t mean bringing them a glass of water, or taking them a piece of pizza if you get up from the table.  I’m talking about the serious giving.  Do you give your time to the widow that just lost her husband and just needs someone to talk too?  If you are financially blessed do you support ministries and organizations that help spread the gospel.  (Even if you aren’t financially well off do you sacrifice to give?)  Ouch! I think I stepped on some toes with that one.  Sacrifice is a tough one.  But if it’s really better to give than to receive than we should be thrilled to make that sacrifice. 


Oftentimes we just don’t know how or where to give.  I’d like to suggest a few ideas to get your minds thinking.  I have a friend who is starting a new women’s ministry center in the Houston area called The Vineyard Project (Facebook: The Vineyard Project) and she is looking for investors.  There are missionaries all over the world waiting for support so that they can share Jesus in the cities, towns and tribal areas.  Just today I was reminded of the Set Free Movement, an organization that is helping to rescue those that are in the sex trade as slaves (modern day slavery).  You can give to their campaign at us4.campaign-archive1.com.   If all of that seems too far removed from you, look around your city.  There are food banks, shelters, and families in need all around us.  What would you be willing to give?  Deuteronomy 16:17 says, Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you.  First of all, count your blessings and see how much we truly have.  Secondly, pray for the Lord to show you ways that you can give with joy and even with a little sacrifice.  You will find that it really is better to give than to receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment