Monday, February 23, 2015

What is your compassion level?

Yesterday in our small group we discussed the word compassion and what did it truly means to each of us.  We had all sort of examples from our lives and how we have or haven’t fully embraced what Jesus wishes for us to act in this area.  After much discussion we looked up what the word meant.  The Oxford Dictionary stated that compassion is sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.  Though we understood the definition it seemed so cold to us.  We felt like we needed better wording of what compassion trul
y is. Today I decided to do some searching in Bible Study Tools about this word.  Here’s what I found.  Compassion (noun), a form of love, is aroused within us when we are confronted with those who suffer or are vulnerable. Compassion often produces action to alleviate the suffering, but sometimes geographical distances or lack of means prevent people from acting upon their compassionate feelings.  I liked this definition better because it made the word compassion, which is a noun, into a verb as we feel the need to act to alleviate the hurt or suffering.   Compassion takes action.

I recall several months ago phoning a friend because I really needed to talk and I really need her to give me compassion.  I needed a listening ear and to be reassured that I was going to be ok.  I wanted her to have concern for what I was going through and then work through with me how to alleviate that pain.  Instead I received something totally different.  When I wanted that one phone call to be all about me it became all about her.  (Now I know many of you are sitting there wondering if you were the friend I talked to—no worries, you probably weren’t.)  I began talking about some of the hurts that I was experiencing and it quickly turned into minutes of all of her hurts and sufferings, etc….  Normally I am the one to have compassion as I talk to a friend about what they are suffering, but this day I was crushed.  I just wanted one thing—compassion.  When I didn’t receive it I was devastated. 

This is just a one-time example of something that in the long run really wasn’t really a big deal. However, it did get me thinking about how many times we are so focused on ourselves or so busy running from this thing to that that we don’t take the time to even realize or see that someone right in front of us might need to receive a bit of compassion.   So what are we to do?  Here are a few things from my own observations that can help us to be more aware of the people around us that may need compassion. 

1.  Be aware of others around you.  How many times do we literally walk by someone we know in the grocery store and we don’t see them?  We are so focused on our list and getting out of the store that we just pass people by.  What if the person we pass by is the lady that just lost her husband?  What if it’s the mother of 4 children that is dying inside because she feels unworthy with horrible self-esteem?  Each of these people could have used 30 seconds of our conversation and compassion to help them along with their day.

2.  Listen.  Really Listen.  I don’t know about you, but I have a habit of doing the “uh-huh. Oh, really?  Isn’t that something?”  But I’m not truly listening 100%.  Or what about the church foyer when you ask someone how they are doing and you are expecting the standard, “I’m good, thanks” Instead the person stops and really starts telling you how they are.  Oh bother, am I ready for this?  Can I listen to this person and really give them the compassion that they need? 

3.  Don’t make it always about you. We all are busy, we all have our struggles, issues and problems but we need to remember that others do as well.  It’s not all about us.  Having compassion means to forgo our hurts for a moment so that we can focus on and try to alleviate the hurt and pain of others. 

4.  Make a plan. Plan each day or each week to intentionally seek people out that you know need compassion.  I know that it’s easier not too.  I know that it’s easier to dodge them in the grocery store, or walk the other way when you see them at work or school. 

Matthew 14:14 says that When Jesus went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.  What I love about this verse is that I know that he saw the crowd from the water and he could have turned that boat around and gone the other way, but he didn’t.  He went ashore and saw that the people needed compassion and began healing them. 

What’s your compassion level going to be this week….and next week?  Don’t let the business of your life or the desire to always talk about your hurts and sorrows keep you from being compassionate to others.




No comments:

Post a Comment